Loading a RAID array after OS crash

One of my very old drive farm servers had an OS fault and can't boot now but I'd like to restore some files from it. I tried booting Ubuntu from a CD, but it couldn't see the drives -- possibly because they're RAIDed together. Is there a good way to get at my files?

The data in question is a series of old genotyping arrays (basically extremely high-res photos and some associated data files). The RAID level is just 1+0, I think. My predecessor's notes say that the system was Debian Sarge, but I think it's actually some version of Xubuntu (the OS was probably upgraded without the notes being changed). I have all the passwords as well as physical access to the system, but I don't know much about the original setup (it was all 'the last guy').

Any help would be appreciated. I don't think the lab would be willing to pay for a hard drive restoration service (16 RAID drives would presumably be fairly expensive), but anything short of that may be fair game.

Was it a hardware or software RAID? With a hardware RAID, and the controller broke, you'll have to find another machine that uses the same controller and restore there. If it's a software RAID, use a Debian DVD, as the Ubuntu CD contains neither mdraid nor LVM, so it won't ever find your data.

It's a hardware system, but I don't think the controller is broken -- it looks like simple OS corruption. I'll try the Debian disk, thanks for the tip!

---------- Post updated at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:55 AM ----------

I had some trouble with the Debian CD, so I went for a Knoppix LiveCD. It worked great! You've saved terabytes of research data, pat yourself on the back.