load average query.

Hi,

i have installed solaris 10 on t-5120 sparc enterprise.

I am little surprised to see load average of 2 or around on this OS.

when checked with ps command following process is using highest CPU. looks like it is running for long time and does not want to stop, but I do not know what process is this and is it normal that this process starts on its own

even though 2 is not a very big LA number but certainly not desirable if something unnecessary is causing this. Also found on 2 non global zones running under this OS , they also have same load average but the process mentioned above is just running on global zone.

Recently these machines were put behind a load balancer, i don't know if this process is a resultant of any such changes...

Can anyone throw some light on this ?

Thank you,

this looks like the update via web... have you configured the mashine to check for patches online?

Thanks for reply, I don't remember of configuring the machine for update via web.

but yes I remember I had updated the system using update-manager but that's about it. Is there anyway I can check this configuration or stop that service.

Thanks

i don't have a solaris to look at right now... but do a "svcs -a | grep -i update" and have a look if you can find something...

Thank you,

svcs -a | grep -i update

installupdates is online, don't know what it does but I will try to find now..Thanks!!:b:

its just the system update installer. patch updates... etc.

man smpatch

or check out docs.sun.com. they have plenty of info on this.