Listening for textbox clicks

Hi everyone.

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong area.

I would like to find out a bit about how ubuntu/linux handles text boxes. In particular I would like to develop an application that launches another application (on screen keyboard) when any text box is clicked. The goal is to get better on screen keyboard integration for touch screen users.

I am a programming noob so go easy on me in interpreting and answering the following questions.

My questions for now are:

• How are textboxes managed in Ubuntu/linux - is there a system wide framework or are they application specific? or both?
  • what else do I need to be thinking of to get this to work

I will have more questions later but will take it in baby steps.

Thanks in advance!

Are the text boxes part of the first application or a third application? The complexity of what you are proposing to do depends on the answer to this question.

If the text boxes belong to the first application you have absolute control of what goes into them and how. If they are part of a third application your first application is effectively replacing the third applications keyboard input.

Given your goals, the latter sounds more likely. Look up freedesktop.org and also the Inter-Client Communication Convenvtions Manual (ICCCM).

Best of luck

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems as though there would be text boxes controlled by other applications.

Looking at the ICCCM, it is described as Locally Active Input.

I will create a new project on freedesktop and go from there.

Any other resources for this idea? Things I need to be thinking of?

Cheers!

You could check sourceforge and freshmeat for similar projects. Other than that I can't think of anything.

Andrew

Ubutu's GUI already has a menu-system, you could easily use that.