Linux root Password Reset

Hi ,

I ve a question about the Linux system root password change.
Which can be done using grub menu without inputting the old password.:confused:

So If anybody can change the root password without any password and then how it is secure. Anybody can manipulate the other user using the root password ?
Next question is
What is meant for sudo root password ?:confused:

BR,
PD

1 Like

You cannot change a root password using just grub. The system boots from a hard drive and the password is stored in encrypted form there.

IF you have access to the system console and IF you know what you're doing, you can boot from DVD IF you have the media and IF booting from DVD is not denied, and remove the root password.

Without solid knowledge of the Operating System (how to mount/dismount filesystems, what file(s) to change and exactly how to do that, it's far from easy. Even many system managers don't even know how to start the process without searching for it and, typically, asking a question on this forum. You need access to the console terminal to even start and servers are often locked away in a computer room.

Don't be too concerned. If it was that easy everybody would be doing it. Keep your security policy tight though.

In the good old days we had really secured Sparc workstations in offices.
A non-default boot (from external media or network) required a boot password.
The default-boot used the internal disk. The box had a lock, so it was impossible to exchange the internal disk. The lock also tied the box to the desk.
Today we do not have this high level of protection. On the other hand the costs are much lower.

Hi hicksd8,

Thanks for the reply. I am talking about general, a home PC. I just followed the link which I supplied in my earlier post and was able to change my root password and now logging in with my new root password.

Sorry about my short experience in Linux just today Installed Linux 7 and tried to covers basics. I searched a lot but did not find any suitable answer to m.y query yet

There is no link on your earlier post (on this thread).

Tell us the steps you did to circumvent the root password.

And there is no "Linux 7" either.
Du you have a CentOS 7.x distro?

Security here is to be understood from outer world, servers are in computer rooms, I doubt you unless you are a senior sysadm will have access, as mentionned above there is no more security if someone can physically get hold of your equipment, to be able to use grub means being in front of the PC... All you can do in such case is not allow to boot from any other device on your PC, and now you can guess what possible issue you risk...
That is why the hardening is difficult with cheap equipment