Linux Redhat ES 4.0 - DNS Config Issues

Hello all,

I've a very strange thing hapenning in my Sys, I've configured the IP, DNS eveything for my internat connection, but Im only able to browse Redhat.com websites.

I cant open anyother site!!! :eek:

Im sure the internet is configured 'coz it displays the list of avail updates for the OS from Redhat.com.

I'm not using any proxy and I've cheked the Lan setting inside firefox.

Any help?!?

Thanks.

Rgds,
Abhi :slight_smile:

You may not have your /etc/resolver.conf file set up correctly and are simply picking up a host from the default /etc/hosts file.

Where is your nameserver running?

argh.. well the boot somehow screwed up... and I had to install xp over it to recover all my docs... I guess u shld knw Im a beginner by this time... and very keen to learn linux... any suggesstion which is the best GNU/linux for beginners???

It just sounds like you've missed a simple step in telling RED HAT where to get its information from. Where is the Nameserver located at?

Im a newbie should I use Fedora/ Ubuntu or anything else I already a win xp on my sys. The sys is also pretty new amd 2.1, 512mb 60gb I guess is suffice for running any linux distro right?

so please let me knw what to use???

Thanks
abhi :cool:

abhi,

Oooo... you already have Windows on the machine and you don't want to lose it right? Well... if its windows on the disk entirely, you'll want a Linux Live distro cd. Im also new to the Unix/Linux environment, but I've made mistakes and learned from them.

First off, don't install Linux on your machine, unless you're willing to start all over learning an Operating system. You'll want a CD/DVD live Linux Distro for that. You can find them at either of the below sites:

After hitting the site, make sure that you're downloading the live copy of the distro. You don't want to install, and you'll know which you have when you boot from CD. Live boots straight to the GUI (leaving you in wonder as to how the interface came up since nothing was "installed").
Installations ask what partition and file system... blah blah... don't continue (again, unless you don't mind giving up MS for Linux).

There are several live distro's out there. Pick your flavor and enjoy. :).

Thank bro' ... could u recommend any books might be helpful for self-study(linux)?

Thanks
abhi :slight_smile:

your DNS service is opend ?
your BINd service is opend?

Right now I'm keeping it simple. There are several online linux tutorials out there that I'm using. Here's on of the links that is popular and for good reason.

The Linux Documentation Project

Good bunch, and they actually break it down into lamens terms! Yay, a cow is a cow because I was told that it was a cow! (currently looking at a cat)

WINDOWS SUCKS *** :mad: :mad: you have to use stupid anti vireses on you computer shure it con play some games but wen you go on the inter net you get like 50 vireses and you half to wait like 1 hour before its done like GOD IT FREKN SUKS *** :mad: :mad: WINDOWS SUCKS :mad: :mad:

put in /etc/resolve.conf the isp ip and check the service named is running

my msn : tamer2010_266@hotmail.com

If you use Webmin to config your name server , you can feel it's very simpleness and very easy !Why not try it ?