Linux Network problems-Please help

Hullo everyone,

I have recently installed SUSE 9.1 and attached it to my Network router (Actiontec 54Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway) but can't connect to the internet. It comes up with the following error message:
An error occurred while loading "http://www.yahoo.com":Timeout on server - connection was to "www.yahoo.com" at port 80. This in the Konqueror web browser.
I have also tried to connect by selecting dial up from the internet menu but comes up with error message:
Error -KInternet:
Connection to local and remote server refused. Maybe smpppd is not running
or you are not member of the group "dialout". Also check the server settings in the dialog "Various settings".
I'm new to Linux i don't know how to check whether smpppd is running? Basically i don't know what to do please help?

I would like to mention that i was able to test the connection during installation and it worked. Well i just selected test connection and download updates and installed them. The system was able to download the updates and where all installed.

This is how the PC is connected: Ethernet wire from PC is connected directly to ethernet port on router.
I tried to use Belkin ethernet Bridge before to connect but wouldn't work and i thought maybe because i had an old suse (7.1) thats why it wouldn't work. I returned it but i have since installed a new version of SUSE (9.1) as mentioned.
I have 2 PCs running windows XP Networked. I'm able to get to the shared files on the windows network via the linux box.

regards,
sybella

Take a look at the troubleshooting tips

Hi RTM,
Thanks very much that was very helpful. I have internet connection now.

regards,
sybella.