linux login issue

Dear all,

When ever i login to linux box through putty , it is taking a long time to log in .....approx 2 min

Kindly let me know any reason behind this....

try this:
http://www.yaleman.org/2007/12/09/ssh-reverse-dns-lookup-disable/

Couple things could be happening:

1) The host could be having name resolution issues. You can verify this by testing DNS with "host yahoo.com" and seeing how fast it gets back to you and by testing user name resolution by seeing how long "getent passwd" takes to get back.

2) Putty could be trying Kerberos authentication, that can slow down how long it takes to get in. You'll usually see an "Access Denied" message before you put in your password if it's trying that.

3) If the delay happens after you've entered your username/password, it may be a filesystem delaying your entry into the home directory, I would see that's the case by doing a "df -h" once you get in.

I would also check /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure for the times around when you're logging into the machine to see if anything relevant is getting printed.

Please post the Operating System and precise version of the client PC.

If this is a Microsoft Windows client, try making a correctly-formatted entry in the hosts file on the PC client.
The relevant file should be located at:

dir %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts