Linux inxtallation

Hi, there,

I had a old "HP NetSever LXr Pro",which I want to install Redhat * on it. However, everytime I start install, the option ask for "graphic install", "text install", I choose any followed by nothing happen, could any idea to fix it?

Yun

Hi,

did you get any error message , or any kind of message ? Usually after choosing the installation mode, there a some message, like the kernel start.

Regards
Alex

Thank you, Alex! I didn't get any message after I choose either graphic installation or text installation. It is a quite screen, after wait a long time, it is the same blank screen. Do you think it is because of the sever had multiple processors as well as raid controllors?

Yun

What is the specific cpu chip in that computer? Do you have the right red hat disks for that architecture?

The sever had 4 Pentium PRO CPUs, the setup disc is OK, since it was been used to setup the Red Hat 8 on a PC. Any more suggestions?

How much ram does the computer have? What is the clock speed of the Pro's? And also, is the startup INIT giving you any errors about not being able to recognize all four proc's before it prompts you to start anaconda?

The ram are 256 MB. The clock speed of the Pro's are 200 MHz. The startup only give the option of choose on Graphic or Text installation, after I choose any, the next screen only show the promt blinking, so, I don't think INIT giving any info about not being able to recognize all four proc's . Any more suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Yun

The problem is the kernel isnt loading. Weather INIT doesnt like your 4 Ppro cpu setup(which shouldnt really be a problem) or your disk is scratched/not burned properly, something is preventing the kernel from loading, I would suggest downloading and burning a new copy.

Hi, djtrippin,

I created a boot flopy disk and try on the sever, the following error message showed:

Error: /bin/insmod exited abnormally.
Mounting:/proc filesystem creating block devices,

kmod: fail to exec /sbin/nodprobe -s -k block-major-8, errorno=2,

VFS: can't open root device "sdas" or 08"05, please append a correct "root=" boot option,

Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:05

Any suggestion on these? Anyone else could help?

Thanks a lot!
Yun