linux files on solaris

Can you install linux programs on solaris?, and if so how?

Solaris 10 includes almost 200 open-source packages certified by Sun. It is also supposed to be linux-compatible. Sounds like that work is partially complete in the current version of Solaris 10, and will be improved on with the "Solaris Linux Application Environment" in later releases. Here is a quote from Sun's website, for more info go to www.sun.com and click the Solaris 10 link.

What interoperability features are built into Solaris 10?

Solaris 10 offers a number of Linux interoperability features including:

Seamless interoperability between Solaris and Linux-based systems
Built-in binary and source code compatibility
Easy portability with Java technology
Sun Java Enterprise System software for standardized Java technology-based network services
Integration of key open source applications
Free, high-quality porting tools
Common desktop environment with Sun Java Desktop System desktops
Designed for compliance with the Linux Standard Base (LSB) specification

What's happening with Solaris and Linux Interoperability?

The Solaris Linux Application Environment, which enables users to run Linux applications natively on Solaris, will be delivered in a Solaris 10 update.

Based on the overwhelming interest received from customers, Sun plans to extend the development of these technologies and work with selected customers to determine the best design and delivery vehicle for this feature. A second technology preview, based on further development of the Solaris Linux Application Environment, is expected to be available later this year.

One other tip I forgot. For open-source software which isn't included with a Solaris distribution you can often find it at www.sunfreeware.com. For a lot of programs the Linux version can't be directly applied to a Solaris box, but you can get a version compiled for Solaris.

so i would be able to run a counter strike server with a sever program made for linux?

Once the Solaris Linux Application Environment is released for sure you could do that. Right now I'm not sure. You'd have to check into the details on Sun's website to see if there are support docs for running Linux apps on the current version of Solaris 10.

If you have the source for your server you could likely compile it for Solaris - Solaris supports gcc and you can get it from sunfreeware.com.

Is it solaris on Sparc ot X86 you are asking about?

im asking about an x86 box, and is this true? Hardware | Oracle

Yes, it is true but I don't know if Project Janus is released in Solaris yet.

see also:

I'm extremely new to solaris,and since it might be a while until an update comes out, does anyone know of a book, or ebook that can tell me the basics of solaris, and how to install programs and other things like that?

maybe this one
And there always the Sun documentation