linksys router and solaris 8

I just sys-unconfigged my ultra sparc which is on my home network where I have 2 PCs attached. When I go to install Solaris 8, it asks various things re: networking. Specifically, when it asks for the IP addy for the DNS server, I input the info, but it barfs back "IP addy info not found". I checked for pilot errors and cannot seem to find anything that I've done incorrectly. Would it be easier to set it up initially for a non-networked system then edit the files?

Thanks in advance!

nicomen :smiley:

Usually much easy to not bother with services when loading - it never seems to find any of them (don't know why they don't fix that). Just set them up afterwards.

okies, thought i had lost my touch!

thanks!

nicomen :cool:

I've edited or created the files:

/etc/defaultrouter to include the gateway IP addy only.
/etc/resolv.conf to read: domain pacbell.net
nameserver xx.xxx.xx.xxx
which I am assuming is the number for the WAN IP address on the Linksys config page.
/etc/defaultdomain which reads: pacbell.net
/etc/hosts which gives the host name
/etc/hostname.hme0 which also gives the hostname
/etc/nsswitch.conf where I replaced "files" with "dns" after networks.

Could'ja/would'ja tell me where I went wrong, please?

Thanks!

nicomen

I forgot to mention that I can ping the other systems on the network...

nicomen

After a day and a half of no success in getting this system to see outside (internet), I sys-unconfigged it again to start fresh. Here's what I've done:

created /etc/hostname.hme0 and input the hostname
created /etc/defaultrouter and input the router ip 192.168.1.1
/etc/hosts has 127.0.0.1 loghost
192.168.1.6 (hostname) loghost
/etc/resolv.conf has domain pacbell.net
nameserver 63.206.90.168
search pacbell.net
/etc/nsswitch.conf has "dns" after "files" following hosts line

Can someone tell me if there is something else I need to edit/create in order to get this thing to access the internet, please?

Thanks in advance!

btw...running Solaris 8

nicomen :eek:

Did you get an IP address and domain assigned to you by your ISP? If you are using 192.168.1.6, how is pacbell.net suppose to know that's you (since it's a non-routable IP address)?

It's dynamic IP, but they did give me the DNS IP....and I was was taking the info from one of my "online" systems...a Windoze box.

thanks much!

nicomen

RTM-

Your comment bounced my head enough to make a couple of changes...it now works!

Thanks so much for your time and patience!

nicomen:cool:

No problem - I wasn't sure if you had fixed it or not from your comments prior to the last. Glad you got it working.

i have the same exact problem. i have done the same thing as nicomen. when i reboot, the etc/hosts file changes my computer name back to "unknown". please help.. i am rookie so explain completly please..... thank you...