Linking with gcc

Forgive as I am new to the gcc compiler and to linux. I am trying to compile/link a program for the first time and am receiving an error complaining about the crtbegin.o file. I use the -v option and get the following:

Using built-in specs.
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr --with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/inf
o --mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc,java,ada --enable-libgcj --with-gxx-include-
dir=/usr/include/g++ --with-slibdir=/lib --with-system-zlib --enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit i486-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.2.2
ld --eh-frame-hdr -m elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -o BCPProductSummary.x /usr/lib/gcc-lib/../crt1.o /usr/l
ib/gcc-lib/../crti.o crtbegin.o -L/home/jab910/Work/AIX/Source/Common -L/home/jab910/Work/AIX/Source/Messaging -L/pcs/bin
-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/.. -ldb2 -lmqm -lCommon BCPProductSummarySetup.o BCPProductSummaryProcess.o -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc -lgcc -l
gcc_eh crtend.o /usr/lib/gcc-lib/../crtn.o
ld: cannot open crtbegin.o: No such file or directory
done
jab910@ossdb2:~/Work/AIX/Source/BCPProductSummary> locate crtbegin.o

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/3.2.2/crtbegin.o

The /usr/lib/gcc-lib/../crti.o crtbegin.o are listed in the ld but can it can not find it. Why is that???

This probably relates to how gcc was installed. The compiler expects certain files to be in specified directories - crt0.o crtbegin.o are called startup files. C requires certain things to happen before the main() function is called.

I don't know where suse gcc expects the startup object modules to be. Someone else here may know.