line break if string exceeds 100chars

I am required to develop a script to look for specific strings in the /var/adm/messages file on our Solaris10 host. When an entry is found in the file then I need that line to be piped to a log file. I have a script with the criteria i just need help with the manipulation of the text string.

1. I need to replace the time stamps in /var/adm/messages and replace it with the format shown below. I need a way to replace collumn 1, 2 and 3 with the date example below.

date example:

# date '+%D %T'
01/26/11 12:40:56
  1. I also need to make the string continue on a new line if it exceeds 100 chars, so that the log file looks pretty and not wrapped around on a standard sized monitor.

original line:

Jan  26 12:40:56 hostname usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 2.0 device (usb430,a2) operating at full speed (USB 1.x) on USB 2.0 external hub: keyboard@4, hid3 at bus address 5

format I would like in my log file:

01/26/11 12:40:56 hostname usba: [ID 912658 kern.info] USB 2.0 device (usb430,a2) operating at full
01/26/11 12:40:56 speed (USB 1.x) on USB 2.0 external hub: keyboard@4, hid3 at bus address 5

Try this,

awk -v yr=`date '+%Y'` 'BEGIN {
m["Jan"]="01"
m["Feb"]="02"
m["Mar"]="03"
m["Apr"]="04"
m["May"]="05"
m["Jun"]="06"
m["Jul"]="07"
m["Aug"]="08"
m["Sep"]="09"
m["Oct"]="10"
m["Nov"]="11"
m["Dec"]="12"
} 
{dt=m[$1]"/"$2"/"yr FS $3;printf dt FS; l=18;for(i=4;i<=NF;i++){l+=length($i)+1;if(l>100 && flg == 1) {flg=0;l=18;printf RS dt FS $i FS} else {flg=1;printf $i FS }}printf "\n"}' inputfile
1 Like

Thanks, I gave it a try but I'm doing something wrong.
I am really rubbish at awk so I need some help here. Must I feed this awk command line by line of the /var/adm/messages or can I just specify the filename at the end by replacing 'inputfile'? I tried that and I got this very non-descriptive return:

awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1

For Solaris use /usr/bin/nawk or /usr/xpg4/bin/awk

cool it works, thanks
may I maybe ask you to explain the logic behind the command to me? I have run through awk docs, but this still seems a little over my head.

awk 
-v yr=`date '+%Y'` # Sets the variable yr to the value current year before execution of the program begins
'BEGIN {
m["Jan"]="01"
m["Feb"]="02"
m["Mar"]="03"
m["Apr"]="04"
m["May"]="05"
m["Jun"]="06"
m["Jul"]="07"
m["Aug"]="08"
m["Sep"]="09"
m["Oct"]="10"
m["Nov"]="11"
m["Dec"]="12"
}              #the BEGIN block is evaluated before awk starts processing the input file, We initialize array "m" with index as month and value as month's number 
{	dt=m[$1]"/"$2"/"yr FS $3; # here $1 = Jan,$2= 26 and $3=12:40:56 as per your input file, store date as per your formate into varibale dt. 
	printf dt FS;  # print date and FS (filed seperator)
	l=18; # here l=18 , length of date and time which we alerady printed.
	for(i=4;i<=NF;i++) # start for loop from field 4
	{
		l+=length($i)+1; # adding length of field and 1 for field seperator
		if(l>100 && flg == 1) # if this condition is true means we already print 100 char.
		{flg=0;l=18;printf RS dt FS $i FS} # reset the flag and length variable and print date time and field on new line 
	else {flg=1;printf $i FS } # condition is false then print field on same line
	} 
printf "\n"}' inputfile

cool thanks a stack man