limit to number of files in a given directory

Everyone,

We are on a unix AIX 4.3 platform and our application is written as such that all configuration files must reside in a specific directory. Currently there are over 10,000 files in this directory (and growing at about 300 per month). My question is is there a physical limit to the number of files that can reside in 1 directory?

Thanks in advance!

Todd

you can have as many files on a fs as there are alocated inods.
more or less when you run out of useable space.

dont forget you can also add space to the VG. but you can only have so many PP per VG.

just remember each file takes up a BLOCK of space. (typicaly 512 bytes)

Interestingly enough, I would've thought the only limit was disk space, but then I found one of Perderabo's posts from last summer. I forgot that directories are themselves files and that all files might have a max size.

But after reading it, it pretty much looks like the same as what Optimus_P said ... you'll probably run out of usable disk space before you run into any of these other limits on a directory.

Of course, if you keep putting so many files in one directory, you're gonna run into other problems trying to manipulate them (even simple things like just listing all the files).