Limit directory Size in AIX

Hello

I have a disk mounted on my AIX server and inside the disk, I want to create 3 directories with max size limit, so that the directories can be limited to pre-defined size.

Eg: My total disk size is 350 GB and I want to limit dir1 to max of 100 GB, dir 2 to 75 GB and dir 3 to 60 GB and the rest 115 GB will be unallocated to directories and will be used for future usage.

Is there anyway to achieve this, without creating mutiple SAN disks.

Env: AIX 7.1

The easiest:
create 3 file systems with the wanted size the space left can be allocated later
Not sure you can do it with quotas, and as on holiday ( and cant remember if quota is FS or dir on a same FS based...), cannot check for you, but worth looking at just for the sake of knowing it exist and how it works...

1 Like

Already server is running with too many filesystems and dont want to make more. So I am thinking in this way.

Why 'too many' filesystems? How many do you have already? The OS will cope with many more than you could likely want.

You mention multiple SAN disks, and that makes me wonder a little. Are you worried that you would have to allocate a new disk from the SAN and use them directly as your filesystem? You should be building the provisioned storage into volume groups and slicing a filesystem of whatever size you want from that.

As a starter to help you, can you show us the output from:-

lspv
lsvg
lsvg -l rootvg
lsvg -l othervg
df -k

Kind regards,
Robin