library path in linux

Is there something which is an alternative to the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH?
The behaviour of this variable is that the path specified here will be checked before checking usual paths. But I want to have some folders checked for shared libraries after the usual paths. i.e usual paths have to precide over the ones I specify.
One way is to explicitly specify all the paths in this variable, but how can I find the paths that will be checked for shared libs when executing a binary in a linux machine? Is there some command or somefile in /proc to find that?

man ldd

I didnt understand from man ldd. It just lists the shared libraries of a particular executable. I want the whole path it searches for the shared library so that I can prepend that path with my path.

see /etc/ld.so.conf

Note that it may be autogenerated in some configurations, like mine, where you need to follow your own system's conventions for modifying it. Even if it's not autogenned you should run /sbin/ldconfig after modifying it.

I found it by checking man ldd, which suggested see also ldconfig(8), and man ldconfig listed /etc/ld.so.conf in the intro paragraph.