Legato Networker

Hi , I have a lot of Tape device with backups from solaris sparc servers. This tape are in Legato Networker Format and now I need access and search an old backup. I know that Legato needed a Server , but this server is wrong , this down long time ago. I have a Legato Networker Server/Client Installer . But I dont know How to do. please help me , Really I need it.

OBS: Sorry , my english is very bad.

Greetings!

You may well need to contact the supplier to see if they can supply an old version, however the current version is likely to be backwards compatible for some time.

How big is the gap between the backup version and the current version?
How old is the tape, and will it still work even?

Robin

1 Like

The Legato setup is the same version was made the backup. The backup is 8 years old aprox. this was made with solaris sparc server 5.8 . For mount the tape I have a L25 Sun TapeDrive.

Thanks in advanced !

Hi,

Do you have the server software installed anywhere, or do you use something else now for your backups. I would start with the pages here this is a pretty comprehensive resource with lots of really good stuff.

However if you don't have a recovery solution for your legacy tapes and data, you may well have to go back to EMC as the current vendor of the software and request help from them.

Regards

Dave

1 Like

Thanks , I will check the link ! later I comment you !

Greetings!

Hi,

You may want to check the quality of the tapes as well, eight years is a long time - has anyone done a test restore of the data at any time. You can check the tape is actually readable using the "mt" commands and you could read a file or a number of files in and send them to "/dev/null" using the "dd" command.

I'm not entirely sure whether one of the standard Unix utilities like "cpio" or "tar" underlies networker - but it may be worth investigating as sometimes backup utilities "wrap" the above commands.

Regards

Dave

1 Like

ok , thanks , I will check the tapes and do you can write me an example of dd access to tape?

thanks in advanced!

Something simple like dd if=/dev/rmt/0 of=/dev/null should suffice.

It is saying 'Read the input file /dev/rmt/0 (change this as you need) and write to output file /dev/null (we don't really want the data at the moment.

Robin

1 Like

Hi,

Just some additional information about the tapes here, if they have been in storage for a long time you may want to give the tape some exercise before trying to read data.

You should consider doing the following before trying to recover data, with the tape in the drive.

mt -f /dev/rmt/0n seod
mt -f /dev/rmt/0 retension

The device will have to be set for your system device, on the first command you are specifying read to the end of the valid data using the no-rewind device. The second command will rewind and retension the tape, usually at a much higher speed than the read commands (so saving time if there is an issue with the tape).

Once you have the tape ready to use you will have to catalog the tape into networker to allow you to see what is on the tape and recover it.

Regards

Dave

2 Likes

Really Thanks you very much guys , I will do everything what you say.

Actually I Have loaded 2 tapes in both drive of the Sun L25 , before I cleaned the both drives with clean tape. Now I will do what say gull04 and later rbatte1...

I have another Question guys: I have /nsr server folder only (unique backup f server), no another one backup . in the "Disaster recovery guide" of Legato .... I understant nothing !!!!

Anyone could help me about this too?

a lot of thanks guys , really !!!

---------- Post updated at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:22 AM ----------

Dave, mt -f /dev/rmt/1n seod no work , error: mt: unknown command: seod

Solaris 5.8 is running . Alternative to ?

Thanks!

Hi z0rtiz,

OK, there are several switches for the mt command. In reality all you want is the tape to be some way from the beginning of the tape.

You could try;

mt -f /dev/rmt/1n eom

Or you could try;

mt -f /dev/rmt/1n eod

It has been some time since I used tapes this way, one switch is the "end of media" and the other is "end of data" - normally you would use when you wanted to append data to a tape set.

Then run the retention command, as to using the disaster recovery guide for legato - you are getting into an area where you need to have the backup procedures documented to know how to recover them.

Regards

Dave