Legato networker on hp-ux

Hello,

Firstable I am new on hp-ux (well long time ago) I am more aix admin....

Legato networker is the tool backup use on the hp-ux. I don't know this tool and would like to know where to find some docs or training.

My first question will be : when a system (hp-ux B.11.0) is backuped on a tape via legato (currently it is a full backup (all fs are backuped (fs system and data) it is what I see whith the command mminfo -v), can I restore the system through the tape ? (I don't know how work legato and if it mades a bootable tape??) or do we need to have a backup os seprate done via ignite (make_recovery)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

With Networker you cannot restore a system which is no longer operational. You would either need an (ignite) bootable tape, or have to install a minimal OS + Networker on the system to restore the system fully.

Hi ,

Thank you for the reply, sorry for the delay.

So iI have to make the os backup on a tape, so it was what I thought ...

BUT
But the thing is, to do that I have to install Ignite and to install, Ignite I have to increase the FS /opt and to increase the fs /opt, I have to install JFSOnline and to install JFSonline they have to pay a licence key and then I have to reboot the system ?
Am I correct ?

So If I install and reboot and the system didn't reboot, I have to reinstall a new system and then copy all the data that I have before to save on a tape with cpio or tar ?

Am I correct ?

Gosh I think I really hate HP systems ... so much easy in AIX...

Thanks in advance for any advise !

Your helpful
Cheers

Well, you can create a seperate filesystem for Ignite if you want. Or install it outside /opt. make_tape_recovery is an absolutely amazing command and it is unfortunate that Sun doesn't come up with something like that. (If they have, then I don't know about it so please correct me)

Hi

Thanks again.

I have created a fs /opt/ignite and install ignite-ux on it.
I have made the os backup via make_tape_recovey !
Cool now I can't test the restore now but In would like to know how to proceed as I am not familiar with the hp console ...

Thanks in advance

For booting from the tape, check this doc, esp. pages 5 to 7. It tells you how to boot form an alternate device.

Thanks a lot.

It is the same for hp-ux 11.00 (the doc is for hp-ux 11i) ? I think it should be the same.

question about an error that I had when I want to do the backup on the production server (the backup failed):
Error on the recovery.log file:

• Testing for necessary pax patch.
    WARNING: The version of pax on the system to be archived needs
    to
    be patched with one of the following patches or later.
    If you do not load the pax patch, some files will not be
    correctly archived (see the Ignite-UX release notes for
    details):

HP-UX Patch needed
------- ------------
B.11.00 PHCO_30150
B.11.11 PHCO_32438

You can get patches over the web from the patch database at:
http://itresourcecenter.hp.com
or directly from the FTP server at:
ftp://us-ffs.external.hp.com/hp-ux_patches

here what i have on the system (HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800):
# swlist -l product |grep pax
PHCO_20416 1.0 pax(1) cumulative patch

Question 1:
Should I have to update the pax ?

Question 1:
If I have to install it, does this product need the a reboot
system ? (I hope no, it is a production server)...

Question 2: How to install it ? (with swinstall ??, I never
install a patch on hp (I am a aix syst)) ?

Note: When I did the backup on the test machine I have no errors
about this so how can I check the difference between the prod
and test system ?
On test this is what I have:
nawux02: / # swlist -l product |grep pax
PHCO_16885 1.0 pax(1) restoring hard and soft links
PHCO_25418 1.0 pax(1) cumulative patch

Thanks for any help.

Cheers.
Al.

I don't think that the patches will require any reboots. They are just for the pax utility. It is usually only the kernel patches (normally specified by PHK...) that would need a reboot.

And yes, you add patches using swinstall. It will open up a menu kind of interface that will be quite easy to use.

Thanks
I have download the patch but there are some dependencies needed a reboot so I didn't download them as I can't reboot the system.
The thing is I know that before installing a patch I have to do a system backup but they never did a system backup on the Production and when I tried to do it last time I have a warning saying that I have to install the patch...
So I will install it and then doing the backup os (hoping nothing happens...)

Cheers
Al