Learning UNIX

Hi Guys ,

Hope everybody is fine . I am here to learn UNIX . Please provide any URLs/pdfs for learning .

Thanks in advance.

-Radha

---------- Post updated at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:48 PM ----------

Just to add , I am good at basics but unable to write scripts . Need help basically in scripting

---------- Post updated at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 07:59 PM ----------

I have searched some keywords in this site , but did not find , If any like those please provide me the URL for that post I shall go through ..

search here for 'shell script tutorial' or try google for the same.

Be aware that there are de-facto standard shells. bash, ksh, sh (bourne), tcsh are the ones to consider.

Ok Jim Thanks , Shall try that and let you know .

Hi,
I am new to HP Ux. Have experience on Red Hat Linux, Need to gain knowledge on HP ux as well. Can you provide me some pdfs or Links to learn the same.

Hello,
The best way to learn UNIX is to do projects. I would pick just one distro os UNIX or Linux.

I 1st learned UNIX on Solaris 8. Not the best distro to start out with. Basically I got an internship at ODU and on the 1st day I was taken to a room with computer parts laying every ware in the room. I was told to build myself a PC, but it couldn't be a Windows machine. After 3 attempts I finally got my workstation (an ultra 1 I think) up and running.
I then built a red hat 7.2 workstation, much easier.

Anyway if you have no experience at all I would use Ubuntu and try to do some projects that will be of help to you. Example a file server for your movies. Also make the distro you pick the main computer you use day to day. If you want to learn UNIX to get a job then I would pick a Red Hat (RHEL) family distro.

So go to the disto you pick and do a howto fromt he site.