Launching X apps from a machine without X installed

Hi.

Here's my setup:

• a workstation with an X server
  • a CentOS server with no X server installed (development, security is not a concern)
  • a GUI application installed on the server

When I ssh to that machine, I get:

[root@bobcat] ssh -Xl root 192.168.x.x 
Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth key data not generated
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
[root@bobcat]

When I later on start a GUI application from that machine I get:

[root@bobcat]./mysql-administrator

Xlib: connection to "192.168.1.174:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified
[root@bobcat]

I guess this happens because there are certain X libs missing on the server, which the app I try to start on the server needs. Can anybody tell me what libs I need to install on the server to make things work?

br,

flj

This is not a "Missing libs" scenario. This is an xhosts problem where you have not specified that they can attach to your local X server.

try xhosts + <IP> of your remote server before you ssh

Also installed fonts on the remote machine. I still get the same error:

Fontconfig warning: line 32: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: line 33: unknown element "cachedir"
Fontconfig warning: "/etrc/fonts/80-delicious.conf", line 18: invalid match target scan
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org

I also don't have the man page for fontconfig on that machine, but yum says fontconfig is already installed. I looked at the manual, but didn't get any smarter. Found the exactly same error reported in several places on the net, but no workaround.

You will need the fonts on the Xserver, the machine you want the program to display upon.

:slight_smile: However, having an X server running and other X apps displaying their UI on the local machine, I thought there's no risk of not having fontconfig properly installed locally.

Besides, I ran dolphin from another machine on my X server, and it didn't complain about missing fonts, and all fonts available for the X server I am running (cygwin-X) are already installed.

Any other ideas?