Lapadmin script to export then import all printers

Hi All,

I couldn't find any option in CUPS to export all printers to file where you could re-create them on another server.

I need to move printers to a new server and was looking for a script. If anyone has one, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

You don't say which Distro or hardware you are on, but CUPS is fairly generic and compatible.

I never had a need to do this, but there are a couple of related web pages found with:

Google: replicate cups configuration

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-migrate-printer-configuration.html

These don't provide scripts -- just a few command-lines to be run as root or sudo.

The CUPS configuration is (allegedly) contained in the directories /etc/cups and /usr/share/cups. So you might start by archiving the current versions of these with tar on the target machine (in case something messes up), then archiving the same on the existing machine and restoring them on the target.

You can check the config with lpstat which has various options, and try test pages etc.

I was a little disappointed to see "Some Brother printers require more than this. Actually, Brother printer setup is a b****y kluge, I don’t know what Brother was thinking." That would be my problem (DCP-J4110DW), but I believe I just downloaded a driver from Brother's own site, and it all worked perfectly for the last 12 years: scan, print and offline functions.