LAMP - version updates and the impact!

Hello All,

I have a LAMP server (CentOS 5.5) which has a lot of php scripts and the php pages runs fine. My question is if I have to allow the OS udpates regularly on the server, will there be any problems in running the existing php scripts? Please advise if my apache/mysql/php functionality will break !?

Below are my versions..

[root@ilan tmp]# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Apr  4 2010 17:18:37
[root@ilan tmp]# mysql -V
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.77, for redhat-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.1
[root@ilan tmp]# php -v
PHP 5.1.6 (cli) (built: Mar 31 2010 02:39:17)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
    with XCache v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 2005-2009, by mOo

Thanks a lot in advance! - ilango

Usually nothing bad should happen, since all long-term distributions (CentOS, Ubuntu LTS, Debian Stable, ...) do not automatically upgrade a package to a different version, but only apply bug- and security fixes. So PHP (for example) will get bugfixes while still available, but it won't be upgraded to 5.2.x or 5.3.x.

For many packages, the numbering scheme is major.minor.patch (sometimes named differently). An increase in the major number means large changes in the way it is configured, works, and the API. A minor number increase usually means feature enhancements that might or might not break existing applications. Most projects release a new patch version as soon as there are a certain amount of non-essential bug-fixes or an important security fix included.