Kubuntu on (certain) Lenovo laptops not possible - reasons?

Hi.

I've used the Wubi install of Ubuntu and Kubuntu on my Windows XP machine for close to half a year now. My brother has let me know of a program where he works by which they're getting rid of (with support negated) several Lenovo laptops, on which, he also informs me, the K 'flavor' of Ubuntu will not install properly or work to anyone's idea of 'optimally.' We've gone back and forth on the reasons as to why, and the best either of us can come up with is that it is a video hardware issue where the video "pipeline" (forgive me for not using the right hw terminology in this instance) is not accommodated in some way by any of the drivers written for KDE, or in itself falls short of what's required to generate, color and refresh at a rate or to a degree of detail and complexity that KDE requires.

Does anyone know, or does anyone have an educated guess, as to why the K 'flavor' of Ubuntu won't run on such as the T500 laptops? (just to toss out a model spec by name)

BZT

i don't see any reason why it would not install or run properly on this particular laptop.

it would be helpful to know: what kind of error messages or performance issues did your brother mention regarding the previous installs (or attempted installs)? this brings me to my next question: does the OS install at all? or does it fail DURING the install?

thanks