.KSH Script Help

Hi,

I have a Kornshell Script which I want to execute on a directory with a series of files;

eg.

XXXX.shp
XXXX_MSLINK.shp
YYYY.shp
YYYY_MSLINK.shp
ZZZZ.shp
ZZZZ_MSLINK.shp
ect.

I want to add a condition to my for loop. I only want my for loop to run when I have files which can be translated against each other. For example,

in my inputdirectory I only want my loop to run when I have files XXXX.shp and XXXX_MSLINK.shp ect. in the inputdirectory.

I DO NOT want my for loop to run when I'm missing files. For example,

in my input directory I DO NOT want my loop to run when I have XXXX.shp and no corresponding XXXX_mslink.shp. Or XXXX_mslink.shp and NO XXXX.shp. Instead I could have a message box pop up with a message to the user with the option to terminate the program.

My Code:

# enter do loop and translate each .shp file in the InputDirectory
for file in $InputDirectory/*.shp
do
    base=`basename $file.shp`
    if [ -e  ${base}_mslink.shp ] 
    then
 # strip off path
 fname=${file##*/}
 # strip off extention
 fname=${fname%.*}
 print |tee -a -i $WorkingDirectory/change.txt
 print "translating $fname.shp from shape to shape"  |tee -a -i $WorkingDirectory/change.txt
 print "======================"  |teje -a -i $WorkingDirectory/change.txt
 # *executes desired translation    
fi
done

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this code doesnt seem to be working.

Thanks,

Beery

for one thing, to get a list of files to loops through, it would have to be something like this:

for file in `ls -1 $InputDirectory/*.shp`;
  do
    something with $file
done

The way you had it, it would loop through once, and $file would be set to the string "<whatever $InputDirectory evaluates to>/*.shp"

if you do it the "ls -1" way, you can also get rid of that basename part, as it should only return the basename of the file anyway.