ksh read bug in HPUX 11i

Is this a bug in ksh on HPUX 11i or is read impromperly documented?

INPUT

Thu Jan 18 09:14:52 PST [server: vscan.virus.detected:error]: CIFS: Virus Detected - File ONTAP_ADMIN$\vol\vol0\DDD\Ventana\Strattoni\Race Stuff\Rumor.exe in share DDD accessed by client CLIENT (111.11.11.111) running as user USER is infected. The filer received status message Virus JOKE_SMALLPEN Found! and error code [3e8] from vscan (anti-virus) server 222.22.22.22.

#! /bin/ksh
exec 4< $INPUT
read -r -u4 ALERT
print $ALERT

OUTPUT

Thu Jan 18 09:14:52 PST [server: vscan.virus.detected:error]: CIFS: Virus Detected - File ONTAP_ADMIN$ ol ol0\DDD\Ventana\Strattoni\Race Stuff\Rumor.exe in share DDD accessed by client CLIENT (111.11.11.111) running as user USER is infected. The filer received status message Virus JOKE_SMALLPEN Found! and error code [3e8] from vscan (anti-virus) server 222.22.22.22.

The literal \v in the file path have been translated into ^K. (This can be seen in vi but isn't printable here).

It appears that read -r is interpreting \v in the file path as vertical tab control character...

Is this a bug or what?

Try using "print -r" or "print -R" instead of just "print".

What do you get if you print -r $ALERT ?

Both print -r and print -R work.

I just read the man page for ksh and I see it now. I was confused because I got the same output from echo and so I assumed read was the culprit.

Thanks a bunch.
Neil