Kill Signal

Hello,
I'm doing a project of OS simulation (Process Scheduling, to be very specific). Can anyone, please, explain what exactly happens in the background when we see "Sending all processes the KILL signal...........". How is it sent to each process? Is it that something like a boolean is stored somewhere and each process checks that before its normal execution?? Is it stored somewhere with the process image?? Does every process get a chance to execute something after this signal is passed?? Does PCB come into the picture?? I'm totally lost from all the fragmented info i found thru google (teoma, askjeeves, etc). :confused:

Please, if anybody can help me out with this quickly, it would be highly appreciated!!

Ameya

There are 10 kinds of programmers.
Those who know Operating Systems, and,
those who don't!!!!!!!!

I dont know the actual process, but the following info may help.

The kernel keeps record of all the processess running in the System in a process table. I dont know about other *nix, but Solaris keeps records of all processes in the directory /proc .

The shutdown behaviour depends on the application itself. If the appliction is written to handle signals like KILL, it will do some clean up as appropriate. Moreover, If the shutdown is initiated from the Scripts in init.d , it will always perform some clean up operation.

Also there is a system call kill which accepts pid & signal as an argument. If the pid is set to -1, it kills almost every process.

I've been working with Solaris for a few months now. So I am not sure if this is correct.

Bye

Read the rules buddy. No project related questions can be posted here.

I think Ameya was asking a question about the Kill command, not about the project...