Kick off Application on PC from Sun

I need to kick off an application on windows from my sun workstation. The workstation needs to know when windows application completes the job.

What are the possible ways of doing it.
Any ideas on how to go about doing it will be very helpful.

Thxs in advance.

can the app on your windows machine look for a trigger file?

IE: if your app sees a specific file it knows to 1) delete the file 2) to execute.

Optimus_P,

I am not sure what you mean?

Providing more information about the applications would be helpful.

Let me prelude this with the following statement: There are probably better ways to do this. There are RPC abilities within Windows, but I have no experience with them.

You could always install Cygwin on your Windows system to give you unix like facilities to communicate with (http://cygwin.com/\).

Cheers,

Keith

Hi,

Dont know if this may sound too complex, but here is what I would have done (offcourse only if i had known windows programming :slight_smile: )

you can have your solaris application open a socket and listen on a port and a socket on windows that would write to this port after completion of the job, thus notifying it. once the solaris socket gets this info it can then continue with what you want it to continue with :slight_smile:

I can tell you further on the unix side of this, for windows please spare me !!

Warm
Regards

forgot to mention one thing, the file approach is a bit crude and surely inefficient method.

thanks to both kduffin and linuxpenguin.

I think what I was looking for was what linuxpenguin said.
My system really needs a unix box to communicate with a Windows box. The client sits on the windows box and server + db on the unix box.

Is there any other ways of doing this? I have never coded with sockets, so I have no idea where to start.

Any help - suggestions - comments - ideas ??

Like linuxpenguin, I've never coded socket communcation under windows. There are good resources for UNIX:

Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment, Stevens
UNIX Network Programming: Networking APIs: Sockets and XTI, Stevens

Cheers,

Keith

vbshuru, how about a few details? Are we talking windows 95? Or windows XP? In a domain or workgroup?

Do you have a C++ or C# compiler on the windows system? A visual basic compiler? Are you a programmer? What languages? Can you use ActiveX, ADO, MSXML, etc?

How many ways can you think of to connect the boxes? Can the unix ftp to the pc? And can the pc ftp to the unix? Same questions for telnet, ssh, http, and any other services that you know.

And anything else that can be useful. I can't think of every possible question.

I am only familiar with windows XP. I could install IIS (it comes standard with XP pro). And then I could bring up a small web server on my XP laptop. XP comes with VBScript and I could have a web page that uses VBScript. Now I only have used vbs under Windows Script Host, never under the web host, so I don't know what objects are available. But I'm sure that there's some way to run a program. Then the results can be returned as the web page. If the program will take hours, then the web server can provide a status. There are other languages available, but vbs is the only one I know so far.

I'm very sure that I could make this approach work, but it would involve a lot of learning curve.

Another idea: write a vbs script that ftp's to the unix system and tries to get a trigger file. If that works, run the program. When the program finishes ftp a "done" file back to the unix system. Use the task scheduler run the script periodicly.

Thanks Perderabo,

As to what software, language, etc to use are undecided.
Windows - NT or 2000
Unix - Solaris 2.6