Key Indicators (KIs) Versus Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)

Tim Bass
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:54:15 +0000

SL�s new web page, Solutions for CEP Engine Users,discusses how CEP is a�technology that is used to help companies detect both opportunities and threats in real-time with minimal coding and reusable key performance indicators (KPIs) and business models.�
I agree with SL, but would like to suggestmy friends at SL*expandthe notion of KPIs in CEP to include the idea of KIs.* In my opinion, the SL phrase should*read,�technology that is used to help companies detect both opportunities and threats in real-time with minimal coding and reusable key indicators (KIs) and business models.�
The reason for my suggestion is that KPIsare a subset of*KIs.** KIs designate, in my mind, more than just performance.**
CEP is used to both detect opportunities and threats in real-time which may, or may not
be, performance related.* For example, when a CEP engine detects evidence of fraudulent behavior, this is a KI.* The knowledge, or pattern, used to estimate this situation is a KI not a KPI, per se.** Also, when a CEP applicationis processing market data and indicates that it is the right time to purchase an equity and enter the market, the knowledge used in this decision support application is a KI, not a KPI.
Therefore, I recommend when*folksthink about the notion of �key performance indicators� (KPIs) in CEP and BAM, they should also think in terms*of �key indicators�*(KIs).**Detecting opportunities and threats in real-time are much broader than the traditional notion of KPIs.

Source...