Kernel Parameters

Dear All,

I want to check whether all essential kernel parameters are installed in my Solaris 10 System. Is there any way to find it.

And also how to tune it.

Kindly help.

Thanks and Regards
Rj

One way to list the current kernel parameters is:

sysdef -i 

To change a parameter, add a line to the /etc/system file in the form:

set parameter=value 

Here is a pointer to the relevant chapter of the Solaris System Administration Guide: Tuning Kernel Parameters

Hi Murphy,

Thanks for the info that you have send.

One of my doubt is whether a Solaris 10 should have all the Kernel Parameters mentioned in your link page or is any thing less is enough.

Bcos I have been asked here , to evaluate whether all the kernel parameter are good in our existing system.

The existing setup has

* Begin MDD root info (do not edit)
rootdev:/pseudo/md@0:0,0,blk
* End MDD root info (do not edit)
set pg_contig_disable=1
* Begin user_stack parameter for oracle
set noexec_user_stack=1
set nautopush=64
set sd:sd_io_time=30
set scsi_reset_delay=500
set rlim_fd_curr=4096
set rlim_fd_max=65536
set noexec_user_stack=1
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=16384
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=16384
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1024
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=16384
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
* End of user_Stack for oracle
* Message queues
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmap=500
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmax=8192
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmnb=65536
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmni=256
set msgsys:msginfo_msgssz=32
set msgsys:msginfo_msgtql=500
set msgsys:msginfo_msgseg=8192

Kindly reply.

we can't say if they are "good". the settings belong to your hardware and the software you are using. if a software (like oracle DB) requires some settings, the documentation should tell so. check the latest docs for the needed settings and compare them to yours...

Thanks Duke for the reply

Depsite Solaris upward compatibility, a link to a 15 years old document might not be optimal :wink:

See solaris tunable parameters reference manual (june 2009)

or the most recent link (september 2010)

You doubts are justified. Most of the parameters you have set here are no more relevant or used with Solaris 10.

1.Overview of Oracle Solaris System Tuning (Oracle Solaris Tunable Parameters Reference Manual) - Sun Microsystems

Parameters That Are Obsolete or Have Been Removed (Oracle Solaris Tunable Parameters Reference Manual) - Sun Microsystems

Ah, me bad. I still have one 2.5 system (don't ask why!) Sorry, just glanced at page before copying link.