Kernal Panic questions

I am trying to restore Unixware 7.1 from a backup using RestoreEdge which is from Microline version 2. The restore is on another machine using the same RAID controller and TBU. We are retiring the other machine.

Anyway, we get to disk #2 and it panics. Here is the Pic.

Can anyone tell me what in this means? I am a complete noob with UNIX.

There's still no picture in your post.

Should be there now.

A kernel panic is an action taken by an operating system upon detecting an internal fatal error from which it cannot safely recover.

As you can see in the PIC, that is what happened. It even says, "PANIC". Thank you for defining what I am asking about.

The question still remains. How can I resolve the Kernal Panic that is happening in the picture attached to the post. Please see pic.

Sorry to be pedantic but you will have more joy with Google if you spell the words correctly.

Kernel
Microlite
RecoverEDGE

Though I have no knowledge of your backup software this example of a RecoverEDGE session suggests to me that you may need advice from the software authors about what to do. This example session is unrelated to your version of SCO so don't treat it as instructions. They did however have to rebuild the kernel.
SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 - Restore to VMWare using RecoverEDGE

Not only thank you for the correction but the link. This maty be one route we can take.

We will try this. Thank you.

Have you configured the RAID ?
You could always just do a fresh install of 7.1 and then install the Microlite Edge that you have, then start Microlite Edge, and do a complete restore.

We were trying to avoid that. We have an ERP software what a 3rd party installed called FACTS 7.2 which we do not have the information to restore it. So if we could avoid a full reinstall, that would be preferred. We are attempting the VMware solution to test since it does not require much and we can try and try all day without affecting a build.

If you do a new fresh install, and then do a full restore from the tape backup you will have an exact duplicate of your present system.
There is no difference between doing the restore this way, and using the boot diskettes, which, by the way may be corrupted.

That is comforting. We will try that too. Thank you.

OK. we did a fresh install on another box. Everything was good after we entered the keys and activated. But now we are getting an error.

It is getting an error for the swap file. It says, /Sbin/Swap:Can't determine Size of device '/dev/swap'; specify size explicitly

How do I resolve this on a Unixware 7.1.3?

One of the problems with Unixware is that while the number of licenses sold is large, the number of customers is quite low.
I would suggest downloading 7.1.4 from The SCO Group, Inc. | Support | Update | Download | Product here and installing it. I would be surprised if your license and activation key did not work.

The keys seem to work. It is just since the install we have been gettign the swap file error stated above.