Kerberos Test Server for training purposes

Dear all
I am appearing for the RHCE exam next week (wish me luck). While training for the exam, i am supposed to configure the client to log on using an LDAP server that is also using TLS and Kerberos for authentication. Server setup is not included in the exam requirements only the client configuration. So here is my question: Where can i find a guide to install Kerberos on RHEL 6? I need a machine to be my LDAP/Kerberos server to practice client authentication through it. I want the bare minimum configuration, something like a dummy server. This is not a production environment, only training so i need something that's quick and easy using the minimum configuration possible.
One last thing: on the client side, iptables firewall will be enabled by default, so when i try to authenticate using Kerberos, do i need to enable any ports?
Thanks a lot in advance, i really appreciate any help

So long as you know how the configure the name service that is all you need to know. Use the GUI tool for doing that. I would not waste time setting up an LDAP or Kerberos server to validate that the GUI configuration tool works.

I doubt that they will provide me with a graphical tool in the exam as the course stated the command line way for authentication. I know the configuration may be a daunting task that's why i asked for the bare minimum configuration that yields and example.com server just for testing the knowledge.
Thanks for the reply anyway

All the best for your exam,

here are some tips to follow in the exam from my experience

go through the exam guide lines twice
you will perform the exam on a VMguest in RHEL 6
make sure to flush the IPtables
check inode stating number twice when creating new partition if asked.

1 Like

robo! thanks so much for the invaluable information. I just have one inquiry: reviewing the exam requirements, i realized that there are at least a couple of topics that were given in the training course yet are NOT included in the exam objectives! does that mean that the exam won't be covering those topics? and if so then why were they included in the course in the first place? i know this is a bit out of the main topic but i really do need the help of existing RHCE holders.

who is capable to predict the exam questions, dont struck to those keep preparing.

can you name what topics you heared about?

Some of those topics include: GPG keys, yum plugins, RPM package management among others... The exam requirements didn't mention them yet they are in the course

rpm package managemant is quite essential
there are good chances you may be asked to create repos so yum included

i am not sure about gpg keys but make sure you learn every bit

At the end of the exam a script is run to collect all your configurations send to USA evaluated there and a mail is sent with the result to the mail address you provide at the begining of the exam

so finally
passwords should be the same as examiner specifies :stuck_out_tongue: