K3b permission problem

When I set up to backup /home to a DVD I am incurring a problem with K3B ver. 2.0.2 saying I (root) has insufficient privileges to access /home/myuser/hp-check.log file. It also does this to the lost+found files for /home and /opt. I am root and the file/directory has read+write privs for root.
I need an explanation, thanks.

I neglected to point out that I am running as root via su in xfce on Slackware 13.37. I also tried to backup /etc and got the same insufficient privs message on over 50 files. I checked some of the files it barfs on most were rw------- and owned by root as user most were root group with some as daemon, examples in /etc/: .pwd.lock, at.deny, and sudoers
Had similar problems with /boot and in /root it flagged all files/directories. Any help??

---------- Post updated at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:26 PM ----------

I solved it. Got out of "su" and ran xfce under root login directly and K3B captured all the files.
I do not know whether this is a bug in K3b 2.0.2, Xfce 4.6.2, or Slackware 13.37 but any permissions bug I consider as serious.