just installed Solaris 10 x86

Hi,
I've just installed solaris 10 on one of my old PC's (a 1ghz 256M PC).
I think the installation worked ok but when I reboot it I can only login via the command line console and not the nice CDE interface.

Has anyone seen this before? Its probable something simple I'm doing wrong.

Cheers.

I had the same problem too (among many others), I wish that I actually knew what it was that I did to get it to be able to boot up in the CDE mode.
On the machine that I installed it on, I had Windows XP, so much for a dual boot machine, but XP was expendable (no pun intended).
After I changed the XP partition from NTFS to FAT32, the machine hung, so I re-booted and hit ESC during the boot process. I had forgotten to take CD 1 out of the drive, and all of a sudden it started to load Solaris, go figure?
I was then able to install the rest of the disks, reboot and was given a selection screen to load CDE or command line. I'm not sure if this information is of any help, but I feel your pain. Hopefully someone with more experience can help you out.

I think it due an incomplete installation , for solaris 10 i faced this problem at 1st, then i did the installation again , but i installed the java enterprise and companion software ad well .. after that it worked , make sure that java is installed cause CDE needs java to run, and companion software DVD for X applications ( connecting using Exceed )

hope this will work

will solve it.
or just usr/dt/bin/dtlogin
will get you there

I didn't catch it the first time around, but you say that it's a "a 1ghz 256M PC" and you can only run with CLI and not CDE. The CDE needs 512M of RAM to run, I remember seeing that in the installation process (at least once of the many times that I had to install/re-install). You might want to check out the Sun Forum to verify, but I am pretty sure this is why you can't run the CDE.