Jumpstart with ZFS root install

Has anyone tried Jumpstart with installing a ZFS root pool? I have read the docs (Custom Jumpstart and Advanced Install Guide(doc:821-1911);Network-Based Installations(doc:821-1909)).

My issue is that I get prompted for information each time I boot the client system. My goal is to get the install to finish without entering any information.

Currently I get prompted for the following information:

• Eject a CD/DVD Automatically?
  • Reboot After Installation?
  • Choose Media
  • Specify Network File System Path
  • Solaris Interactive Installation # Here I get the message that "there are existing ZFS pools available on this system."
  • Accept License
  • Select Geographic Regions
  • Select System Locale
  • Additional Products
  • Choose Filesystem Type
  • Select Software
  • Select Disks
  • Preserve Data?
  • Configure ZFS Settings
  • Mount Remote File Systems?

... then the installation continues. It's almost as if the file containing the ZFS configuration is never read. :wall:

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

I can ""guess"" of enabling the boot from option on the clients to look for network boot!
(pls do not try this on ur real time environment, unless you test it). Thanks.

I run "boot net" from the "ok" prompt. The client picks up the IP addr and hostname from the install server. It just never finishes the install with out prompting for info .....

try

ok boot net - install

That works. But :slight_smile: the install still prompts me for information.

Here is my rules file:

hostname sys1    -       sys1.zfs       -

Here is my "profile" file (sys1.zfs):

install_type    initial_install
cluster         SUNWCall
pool            sys1 50G 4G auto c0t0d0s0
bootenv         installbe bename newBE

Here is my sysidcfg file:

keyboard=US-English
terminal=ansi
timeserver=localhost
network_interface=PRIMARY { hostname=sys1
     ip_address=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
     netmask=255.255.255.0
     protocol_ipv6=no
     default_route=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn }
security_policy=none
name_service=DNS { domain_name=mydomain.com
    name_server=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
    search=mydomain.com }
timezone=US/Eastern
system_locale=en_US.ISO8859-15
root_password=<encrypted rootpw here>
nfs4_domain=dynamic
service_profile=limited_net
auto_reg=disable

Here is the command I used to setup the install client:

# ./add_install_client -e xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -c nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:/export/home/JUMPSTART \
                      -p  nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:/export/home/JUMPSTART -s nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn:/mnt sys1 sun4v

I am trying to install Solaris 10u9(9/10). I thinking about trying 10u8 to see if that works better. :wall:

i found this:

here:
What's new in Solaris 10 9/10 - c0t0d0s0.org

The system I'm using as the jumpstart server is running Solaris 10u9 and has the latest Solaris 10 Recommended patch bundle applied. (Kernel patch 144488-09 applied) The patch above and all the patches that go with it are already applied.

I think it might be time to open a case with Sun .... I mean Oracle. :eek:

try a "standard" sysidcfg first... something basic which is known to work. maybe there is a problem in your sysidcfg which we are not able to find...
also i consider to use JET, which is a jumpstart framework (i use this for my installations) and very easy to handle. but you'll need version 4.8 for solaris 10 update 9 to work properly. on the download pages is only 4.7 available but maybe 4.8 is a MOS download... haven't tried this yet!

We have

Note the none in all caps.