Jumpstart sparc client using x86 server.

Can I use a Jumpstart enviroment on x86 to install a sparc64 client?

The idea is to install Solaris in an virtual environment (Sun Virtual Box) running on a pc (AMD), configure a Jumpstart server, and have a SUN Ultra 60 (sparc64) installed via the Jumpstart server.

The SUN has no cdrom drive (it's broken), it runs Solaris 7 and has Internet connection. What's the easiest way to get it re-installed with either Solaris or FreeBSD?

Thx for your time in advance.

haven't tried it with a virtual environment but you can use a x86 system to install a sparc server.

Many thanks for your reply. I'll give it a try with the virtual machine. The confirmation I CAN install a sparc client using a x86 server is the good news!!

gracias hombre!

i run a x86 jumpstart server. i've installed many sun sparc servers with the jumpstart server. i've had no problems. its all about having the proper image.

i've actually documented the steps to building my jumpstart server. its really no different then a sparc based one. Solaris Wiki:Procedures/jumpstart - IgnorantWiki

I haven't tried with virtualbox, but there is no problem doing it from VMWare and I don't imagine there would be a problem from virtualbox since the entire network stack is available.