JMX monitoring on unix server

Hi All,

I am new to JMX.Can anybody tell me how to use this it on unix server.

Using JMX i want to check the system monitoring(%cpu utilization , size utilization )how to start JMX on UNIX

Thanks

Because of JMX is part of Java and runs inside a Java Virtual Machine, there should be no problem to start JMX in the same way like you do on windows.

Maybe you could tell some more infos what you exactly want to do? Or, how you are trying to start and what exactly you are "starting"

Hi spidi4u,

AS i googled , found that we are using JMX for the monitoring purpsoe.

on unix server , using unix commands i am trying to monitor %cpu for each processid

Eg:process id 3456 -takes 78% of cpu
using unix "top" command i can find the %cpu utilization

but i want to know again detailed reasons, means where we need 78%
exactly

Eg :from 78 % , 20%...is fror some reasons 30 % is for ...
28% is ...

but want to know that wheter there is a programm for this , or how can we do the same on servers using JMX.

using JMX i want monitor size utilization , time utilization , %cpu ,%mem

please help me to start this, give me some simple examples.

ah ok i see, so your problem isn�t really JMX. Your real problem is a good UNIX command which gives you detailed information about CPU/Mem Usage.

Ok I think we can find som solution for that, but please excuse I�m also no Unix pro at all...
Could you tell me what kind of UNIX you are using? If we find a good UNIX command, there should be no problem to use this with JMX :wink:

---------- Post updated at 10:23 ---------- Previous update was at 08:56 ----------

to my mind, if you type "top" there should be a table summary of all pids and there should also be a column of %cpu and %mem... isnt it?

just looks like that:

source: cyberciti.biz

what u have said is right.

but from business perspective, we can find some cpu utilization only using with JMX not unix. I also dont know how to use that.

so need one simple example of JMX . so that i can improve in it.

ah ok... so plz tell me, how you are using JMX... do you use that jconsole or do you use it on command-line? I still remember JMX just starts with a MBean right? and then you use that MBean with any visulization... maybe also a http-connector or the jconsole...

Could you plz post that MBean which you are using? the code of it. I guess its something that simply executes a command in shell or cmd or whatever on the target host. Right?

---------- Post updated at 12:07 ---------- Previous update was at 12:04 ----------

sorry i guess i misunderstood your last question... do you have any JMX running? Or are you still trying to find out how JMX works? Do you need a tutorial?

I dont have any JMX running.I got some points from google about Mbean and all... but it just information for me, practically dont know. better to give me some easy tutorial. I want to know how JMX works

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:24 AM ----------

I have just tried one simple command

jconsole 4882
-bash: jconsole: command not found

i also want to know the difference between jconsole and JMX

do you have some knowledge in Java? you will need it.
if you got some, you can read about JMX... --> Java Management Extensions.
That means JMX is just an extension of java which offers you the abbility to monitor&manage simple processes and more...

I used it some months ago to start processes on remote hosts.

JMX is the thing which does all the commands and jconsole is one example that visualizes the results of JMX.

---------- Post updated at 13:24 ---------- Previous update was at 13:23 ----------

Are you german? if so, you could use this tutorial, it�s quite good:
JMX (Java Management Extensions)

Hi,

i am having idea about java, but not perfect.I have created one small programm of "helloworld" on eclipse (SDE6.0_Enterprise)

class
HelloWorld { 

public

staticvoid main(String[] args) 
{ 
System.out.println("Hello World!"); 
} 
} 

can i monitor this using jmx or jconsole.

if yes ...then how?

and sorry , i am not german.

Thanks
[/LEFT]

yes thats possible... but your code must be an mbean.
so something like a helloworld-mbean could look like this:

Here�s a part of an english tutorial. I�d like to cloak that, but it seems not possible @ Senior Advisor - http://www.unix.com

source: Getting Started with Java Management Extensions (JMX): Developing Management and Monitoring Solutions

Hope that small tutorial may help you

1 Like