Java error

Dear All,
while running java -version i am getting following error

/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't find path for shared library: libjli.sl
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
ARIES32: Core file for PA32 application saved to /finacle/RIPU/core.java
Abort(coredump)

its creating a core dump.

what is the cause of this problem and what is a solution.

Regards
Ripudaman

Not really a JAVA problem, just dynamic linking, where you find file libjli.sl and add the directory

find ... -name libjli.sl
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:that_dir

But for JAVA, it might mean you did not set JAVAHOME or use the supplied wrapper applications that set up such things based on where they were when they ran, so the child can find resources like this. The 'java' you run (in your $PATH) is usually a script that calls the real 'java' compiled execuatble.

Just downloaded and installed following HP's procedure...

ant:/home/vbe $ uname -r; model      
B.11.11
9000/800/L2000-54
ant:/home/vbe $ which java
no java in /usr/bin /opt/ansic/bin /usr/ccs/bin /usr/contrib/bin /opt/hparray/bin /opt/nettladm/bin 
/opt/upgrade/bin /opt/fcms/bin /opt/pd/bin /usr/bin/X11 /usr/contrib/bin/X11 /opt/mx/bin /opt/resmon/bin 
/opt/perf/bin /opt/OV/bin/OpC /opt/prm/bin /opt/aCC/bin /opt/langtools/bin //opt/perl/bin /opt/scr/bin /usr/sbin
/diag/contrib /opt/ignite/bin /opt/hpnp//bin /opt/hpnpl//bin /opt/imake/bin /opt/graphics/common/bin 
/opt/Acrobat5/bin /opt/sec_mgmt/spc/bin /opt/gnome/bin /opt/firefox /opt/mozilla /opt/cfg2html /opt/ssh/bin 
/opt/perl/bin /opt/sec_mgmt/bastille/bin /opt/ipf/bin /opt/swa/bin /opt/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/bin /opt/samba/bin 
/usr/sbin /sbin/ .
ant:/home/vbe $ ll -ld /opt/java/jav*
drwxr-xr-x   4 bin        bin             96 Feb 14  2007 /opt/java/java1.2
drwxr-xr-x   6 root       sys           1024 Jun 14  2002 /opt/java/java1.3
dr-xr-xr-x   8 bin        bin           1024 May 10  2004 /opt/java/java1.4
drwxr-xr-x   9 bin        bin           1024 Mar 10  2005 /opt/java/java1.5
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root       sys              5 Sep 25 14:52 /opt/java/java1.6 -> java6
dr-xr-xr-x   8 bin        bin           1024 Sep 25 14:53 /opt/java/java6
ant:/home/vbe $ /opt/java/java6/bin/java -version
java version "1.6.0.15"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0.15-jinteg_20_jul_2012_02_27-b00)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 20.8-b03-jre1.6.0.15-rc1b1 PA2.0 (aCC_AP), mixed mode)

What did you not follow then? Read the prerequisites etc...?

@DJPickett my friend, you are totally right... This post is just to show that even with nothing set, correctly installed, java -version on a HP-UX will give the version... and you can see why it is not set for me...

Dynamic linking can be delayed, depending on things like static variables to initialize. The ldd tells you about all libs. On hu-ux, extra joy: sometimes you have to chatr the files to unglue the static paths for dynamic linking on each lib:

$ chatr +b disable +s enable -l /usr/local/lib/libintl.sl local/bin/flex
$ chatr +b disable +s enable -l /usr/local/lib/libiconv.sl local/bin/flex
$

Funny thing -- I have a jre6 I downloaded from the uk hu-ux repository, and after unpacking it and chaning $PATH in .profile, ldd -rsv was happy but java -version was not! I had to put the right libjli.sl dir at the end of $SHLIB_PATH for it to work. Weird! For different OS, your ld() ENV variable name may vary.