Java 7 installation problem

Hi,

I am trying to install java7.6 on redhat 6.2 but got the below error message. In fact this error comes up for all the supported OS of JDK 7 and JRE 7. I am running this as root and I dont have any other Java version installed.

[root@XXX] # rpm -i jre-7u6-linux-x64.rpm
Unpacking JAR files...
 rt.jar...
Error: Could not open input file: /usr/java/jre1.7.0_06/lib/rt.pack
 jsse.jar...
Error: Could not open input file: /usr/java/jre1.7.0_06/lib/jsse.pack
 charsets.jar...
Error: Could not open input file: /usr/java/jre1.7.0_06/lib/charsets.pack
 localedata.jar...
Error: Could not open input file: /usr/java/jre1.7.0_06/lib/ext/localedata.pack
[root@XXXX]#

This happens even if I try a forceful installation. But Java is getting installed and could be found from rpm -qa. Appreciate any comments on this issue or is this a bug from Oracle?

Regards,
Vinoth

Where did you download the rpm from? Try to download it from the Oracle official site and try again.

yes i have downloaded it from oracle only and still have this issue...

I got the same error. I then tried the JDK for 7u4 then updated alternatives and it worked fine.

I got the error with the JDK for 7u6 as well.

just use 7u4 for now...

[root@SL-G71 java]# java -version
java version "1.7.0_04"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_04-b20)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 23.0-b21, mixed mode)

Later,
Jeff

You can always do it the long way. I just installed Java7u7 by following the instructions from liberiangeek dot net. (I do not have 5 posts so I cannot post URLs)

www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/install-oracle-java-jdk-7-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/

A bit more involved obviously but you get the latest...

In my case I used "2" in the alternatives install so I could go back to openjdk if needed. I then configured alternatives to use the second listed instance which was "2" for the Orcale JDK1.7.0_u7.

Later,
Jeff

you can install java in source code.it is sample and what you should do is export java in $PAHT.