IVE and VIOS

I would like to hear your opinions, comments, pros and cons about the IVE (Integrated virtual ethernet) and VIOS (virtual i/o server)

With the VIOS can create virtual ethernet and virtual disk

With the IVE I dont need to create the vios and I can have virtual ethernet (physical and logical ports)

Someone has used the IVE ?????

Thanks in advance

you mean creating virtual ethernet adapters and under VIO and assigning it to LPARS ? SEA or LHEA ?

which one ? your question is not clear.

There are two different options but with the same target create virtual ethernet for lpars.

The first one is vios, here we can create virtual ethernet and virtual disk.

The second one is IVE with comes with servers with power6. Its a device.

I would like to know the pros and cons if I use one or another.
If someone has use the IVE

I hope you get the idea and thanks again for your comments.

Greetings

There are several advantages of IVE/HEA over Virtual Ethernet.

• First: CPU Load. Using IVE costs considerably less processor cycles than Virtual Ethernet. Depending on network I/O I have seen Virtual Ethernet sucking up three Power6 CPU of a p570.
  • Second: speed. The IVE/HEA connects to the internal GX Bus. It is faster than Gigabit PCI adapters that are used for Virtual Ethernet usually.
  • Third: Number of slots: by using IVE you can use more slots for other (e.g. FC) adapters.

It also might be seen as an advantage that the overall number of virtual adapters in the VIOS is reduced.

A disadvantage of IVE I found is that (depending on the network switch used and the adapter speed resulting thereof) it was impossible to install the LPAR via NIM. However that should not be a problem when you use true Gigabit equipment only.

1 Like