issues with Veritas volume manager configuration

hi all
i am a newbie to solaris and i am doing some R&D in veritas volume manager. This is my first day with veritas. I downloaded and installed Veritas storage foundation 5.1 package in my sun solaris 5.10 sparc machine. When i try to create disk group in vxvm, it giving one error message. I am using ultrascsi box ( 6 X 36 GB HDD). Previously i used this with Sun volume manager and zpool.

bash-3.00# vxdisk list
DEVICE       TYPE            DISK         GROUP        STATUS
c0t0d0s2     auto:none       -            -            online invalid
disk_0       auto:sliced     -            -            online
disk_1       auto:none       -            -            online invalid
disk_2       auto:ZFS        -            -            ZFS
disk_3       auto:sliced     -            -            online
disk_4       auto:simple     -            -            online invalid
disk_5       auto:ZFS        -            -            ZFS

This is the output of vxdisk list command. Then i initiate the disk_1. It was ok. But when i tried to create a disk group i am gettiing the following error message

bash-3.00# cd /opt/VRTS/bin
bash-3.00# vxdisksetup disk_1
bash-3.00# vxdg init kingston disk_1
VxVM vxdg ERROR V-5-1-6478 Device disk_1 cannot be added to a CDS disk group

How to resolve this problem?

Regards

Kingston S

---------- Post updated 2010-05-29 at 02:17 AM ---------- Previous update was 2010-05-28 at 08:40 AM ----------

any updates friends...i am waiting......

Use below command to initialize the disk:

#vxdisksetup -i disk_1

And check the status if the particular disk in online.

thanks,
deepak

hi thanks for ur reply...i did that ...it works fine.initially it says that the disk was under use by zpool. and it asked me to destroy it and change the signature in the hard disk.
I did "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 oseek=10 bs=512 count=1" it was failed. Then i did "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vx/dmp/disk_1 oseek=16 bs=512 count=1". Now it works fine. I dont know why the command failed and second command succeeded. Can someone explain?

Hi Kingston,

The first command was unsuccessful because you tried a write operation on a raw device. But write operation can't be carried out on a raw device. The second command was successful because it was a block device hence successful.

Please let us know if still unclear.

Thanks,
Deepak

Ques 1: the first command will change signature of a hard disk. isnt it? If it is true, it will not be located in the writable area of a hard disk. Am i right?

Ques 2: it supposed to be work if i give "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s2 oseek=16 bs=512 count=1". Isn't it?

Ques 1: Which is that first command?

Ques 2: "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsk/c1t1d0s2 oseek=16 bs=512 count=1" this won't work because the disk is under VXVM control and R/W operation can only be held by using standard path given by VXVM.

Would request experts to say something if they understand first query well.

Thanks,
Deepak

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2 oseek=16 bs=512 count=1" is the first command. Leave this first command issue. Help me here.
I am getting the signature problem when i am giving the command "vxdisksetup -i disk_1" which means the hard disk is not under the vxvm control at that moment. Am i right? If it is so, what should happen?