Issue with Oracle 10 installation on Solaris 10

Hi all,

After implementing all the pre install set up in Solaris I triggered the oracle DB install.

I am doing it directly from the local machine console and I got the following error -

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors
    >>> Could not execute auto check for display colors using command /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set.    Failed <<<<

This error occurs only when the user is oracle. But when the user is root the error does not occur.

Also Following command is not there there for either users

/usr/open/win/bin/xdpyinfo

This is my first attempt at installing oracle DB on solaris.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks
Sumeet

Just a long shot in the dark :slight_smile:
Login as root, run the following commands and write down the output:

echo "$DISPLAY"
xauth list

Run su - oracle , then:

DISPLAY=<previously saved value>; export DISPLAY
xauth add <previously saved value(the entire row) of xauth list command that corresponds to the above virtual desktop>

:slight_smile:

Hi Raoulov,

I did exactly what you said -

AS ROOT -

# echo $DISPLAY
localhost:0.0
# xauth list
unknown : 0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

switch to ORAcLE as user -

# su oracle
# DISPLAY=localhost:0.0;export $DISPLAY
# echo $DISPLAY
localhost:0.0
# xauth add unknown : 0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xauth : timeout in locking authority file /.Xauthority

Following data is there in the /etc/host file -

# cat /etc/host
127.0.0.1     localhost
xxx.xx.xxx.xxx unknown # Added by DHCP

And there is no .Xauthority file.

Please let me what is wrong.

Thanks
Sumeet

First of all run xhost + as root:

xhost + localhost

Then check these:

You say the there is no .Xauthority, but did you check under the user's home directory?

@sumeet: Why did you install Oracle from the remote machine? There're many ways to install, one is from remote, it's easiler than the other. Or you can install Oracle by slient mode in local.

Hi Radoulov,

I am trying to install orcale from local (unix box) on command line.

I had another box at disposal so I did the entire set up again.

I downloaded 10201_database_solx86_64.zip into the /tmp dir.

Then I unzipped it and it created /tmp/database dir which had the runInstaller file.

But I ran into the same issue again - Could not execute autocheck for display colors using command /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo. I checked the DISPLAY variable is set.

Now the user "oracle" does not have .Xauthority but "root" has it and I was able to run /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo as root user.

"oracle" has full access to it home dir - /export/home/oracle.

Do I have to copy .Xauthority to oracle's home?

---------- Post updated at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:53 AM ----------

Hi trantuananh24hg,

How do you do the silent install?

I think I am trying to do that.

Thanks
Sumeet

Did you try to run xhost + localhost as root before starting the runInstaller script?

Hi.

I installed Oracle (albeit 11g) on Solaris 10 a few days ago, and had much the same problem (and a java one).

And when faced with such problems, I did what I would normally do. I gave up.

cd /tmp/database
cp response/db_install.rsp mydb.rsp
<edit this file to set everything up>

./runInstaller -silent -responseFile /tmp/database/mydb.rsp

I install Oracle binaries virtually every week and I get this error (or something similar, I don't remember the exact message)
only when I forget to run xhost before starting the installation :).

I SSH'd to the "box", and don't think my terminal supported the fancy X stuff, anyway, but now that I have the response file, I can reinstall it quickly. I'm sure this will come in handy, as I do have a habit of breaking things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, some years ago, when Oracle introduced this functionality (silent installation), it was quite buggy so using it in production was a risk.
That's the reason I'm still not using it unless really forced :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Radoulov,

I tried running the xhost as root.

# xhost +<remote m/c ip>
xhost: not found
# which xhost
no xhost in /usr/sbin /usr/bin

What do I do next?

Thanks
Sumeet

---------- Post updated at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:09 PM ----------

Hey Scott,

Thanks for giving the response file idea.

Where do I get the instructions to edit/create the response file. I tried googling but none of them give exact details.

I think I will have to create a response file.

Sorry guys. I am a newbie to this domain of Unix - "installing oracle in unix".

Thanks
Sumeet

Hi.

First off, xhost, etc. is in /usr/openwin/bin , which I'm guessing is not in your PATH.

Editing the response file is pretty straight forward, as the file is well commented.

You should find one (based on where you said you extracted the .zip files) in /tmp/database/response. I made a copy of db_install.rsp and edited that.

The only problem I had was solved by changing

DECLINE_SECURITY_UPDATES=true

otherwise it will bug you to tears about a badly formed email address. Again, rather than trying to fix it, I just gave up and changed its value :smiley:

Most important is that you follow the installation instructions to ensure that pre-requisites are met, and post-installation tasks are completed, before and after running the installer, respectively.

Thank you guys.

Scott - xhost was indeed sitting in /usr/openwin/bin.

So I added it to the PATH and then did what Radoulov said - xhost + localhost.

The installer finally triggered.

I appreciate all your help.

Thanks
Sumeet

Yee hah! I knew I gave up too easily :slight_smile:

If I recall, somewhere in the GUI installer is an option to save a response file from the options you select. It's worth doing, so that next time you can run the silent install, or modify and reuse the options you already selected.