issue on solaris installation

hi Guys..
i''m new to solaris, i got some issue during solaris installation, it asking there is no space for it ... required space is 756mb but available is 324mb ..... (dell plade server ...)

can any one tell me how to resolve and install OS on machine ... plz tell me it urgent ...

There is nothing you can do except to add disk storage space to the blade server, or move existing storage from the blade server off to another SAN or blade. You cannot do a partial install and have Solaris be guaranteed to work.

Also, when you get the Solaris system up you will find that you need local disk storage, so plan on probably 20-50 GB free at a bare minimum.

A full Solaris 10 installation requires 6.8Gb of disk space. Installing a minimum useful set of software groups (clusters) i.e. SUNWCmreq and SUNWCrnet, requires approx 2Gb of disk space.

What size hard drive does this machine have?

Solaris install wants 756MB, that's three-quarters of a Gig, not a lot.

Are there other partitions (O/S's) already on this disk so there's only 324MB unused?

hi hicksd8...
yes .....there is centos OS installed now but user want change to Solaris 10... i insert cd and boot from solaris default method ... after some time .... it showing error... ( required is space maximam but available is minimum space ..

plz help me hichsd8 ... i'm waiting for your reply

Right then, if this box already has CentOS on it then I assume this must be a x86 box.

When you try to install Solaris do you get an option like "Use whole disk for Solaris"? or perhaps "Custom install"? If so, take one of these. Be extremely sure that there's nothing on the CentOS installation data wise that you need.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work use some utility boot CD to completely remove the partition table from the hard disk.

Perhaps even boot some Microsoft O/S CD and then delete any existing partition(s) but don't create one for the MS install. Just blow away the existing partition table and then switch off.

Hope that helps.

Hi Hick,

I'm Sorry ... the server is HP Porliant .. not Dell plade ....
i tried to delete partition during MS.. but it showing there is no any disk driver in my computer ....
help me how can to fix and install solaris

I understand the problem.

When the installation fails, click "next" and it should drop you to a terminal window with a # prompt. In this window enter the command:-

fdisk /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0

This should show you existing partitions. Select option 3 to delete partitions and delete each one in turn. (There may only be only to start with.)

Once you are being shown an empty table (no partitions) select option 5 to update and exit.

Enter the command "reboot" and start the installation procedure again.

If this doesn't work, post a reply.

Hi Hick,,,
how to fix problem ... help me anyone soon

Please give a reply to my suggested fix as posted.