Issue installing linux

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum for this

Alright, I am a long time Microsoft user (games of course). I have installed Linux in the past, but not on this computer. Brand new computer, have been using it extensively for the past month or so, and recently I just had the urge to install linux on it and play around with it a little more (educational purposes mainly)

I have a retail CD I bought years ago of Linux SUSE 10.1

When I try to install it, it boots from the CD and then goes to the installation menu. I select 'install' (logical choice :wink: ) It sits there a minute, then tells me there is no CDROM drive attached to the computer :confused:

Ok, confused, I mean there is obviously a CDROM drive (I booted from it in the first place) IIRC when I selected 'view installed CDROM drives/hard drives' it came up empty.

I decided to try another source, so I downloaded Installing Debian GNU/Linux via the Internet the I386 build of Debian (which I believe is the correct one)

Yet it does the exact same thing. No CDROM drive attached :frowning:

Any idea what could possibly be the issue? Obviously it works fine in Vista and BIOS recognizes it just fine. I looked through the BIOS settings just to make sure nothing popped out at me, which nothing looked promising

(for reference this is my computer custom gaming laptops - Welcome to Sager Notebooks )

Thank you for your time

moved to "linux" forum...

@is it an dvd drive in your laptop, or is it the blueray drive (also available at the link you provided...)?

Also, check to see if it's a SCSI, SATA or an EIDE drive. It's probably SATA, which I don't know anything about. If it's SCSI, I can see why there would be problems. If it's EIDE, yeah something's strange.

try downloading a new dvd of the linux distro.
i dotn keep tabs on suse numbering, but i think that version is kinda old.
and old linux might have issues fixed in new linux versions
specially with compatibility with new devices (like your dvd drive)

It is a SATA DVD drive (surprised me), and since it didn't seem to see my Hard Drive either (also SATA) that is likely the problem

I suspected it could be my build was outdated, which is why I tried downloading and installing Debians version of linux too (you have to pay for SUSE) but it had the same problem

Are there any other disturbutions out there that you recommend I try? (just looking for a simple version of linux, and I'm a sucker for shiny guis :o I mainly want to test out WINE and see how well it works) Or any other ideas or things I may have done wrong?

Thank you for the quick responses

a very simple linux is ubuntu... but it is also debian based... maybe gentoo is a good option for you (but not an easy one!).

good luck

try the lastest ubuntu.
if it dosnt work, then we have another problem

I appreciate the help, I'll give Ubuntu a try

I wont be able to install it till later (work...), but I'll be sure to come back to report my success (or failure :eek: )

Well downloading and installing the latest version of Ubuntu worked, but I am having other issues...

The first one is that it doesn't recognize my wireless card. No idea how to fix this. Going to Intel's site (with Windows booted) they only have drivers for XP/Vista... and I honestly do not know how drivers work in Linux.

Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

That is the website I went to looking for my wireless card drivers

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

The second is I cant figure out how to install programs (surprise). I tried installing WINE and Compiz (the two programs I wanted to play with and the main reason I wanted to try Linux in the first place)The readme files said to execute the 'configure' command through the terminal, which I did manage to get to work on both of them, except at the end it just says 'failed to compile executable' and nothing else happened. I cant seem to see any steps I am doing wrong... but of course I am probably missing something

If anyone has any suggestions they would be welcomed (I'll be googling until then)

Are you using the 2.6.26 kernal version?