iptables for unix?

Hi I'm new enough to unix. just ran into trouble with an application that needs to bind to port 69. From searching i see that unix can't bind to ports lower than 1024 if your not the root user. Running the application as root user isn't an option. I found the tool iptables and it looks like what im looking for however i can't seem to find setup instructions for it for unix solaris. it only seems to be available for linux. Could anyone point me in the direction of the iptables setup/install for unix solaris. If it isn't available for unix solaris have i any other options. is there a similar tool for unix?

Hi I'm new enough to unix. just ran into trouble with an application that needs to bind to port 69. From searching i see that unix can't bind to ports lower than 1024 if your not the root user. Running the application as root user isn't an option. I found the tool iptables and it looks like what im looking for however i can't seem to find setup instructions for it for unix solaris. it only seems to be available for linux. Could anyone point me in the direction of the iptables setup/install for unix solaris. If it isn't available for unix solaris have i any other options. is there a similar tool for unix?

Hi can anyone give a quick answer for this? Can you install iptables on unix?

Hi can anyone give a quick answer for this? Can you install iptables on unix?

iptables is for linux and linux alone; it's not just a program, large parts are in the linux kernel itself.

iptables is a firewall - it won't let you open a port below 1024 as a non-root user. You can either run it as root, run it SUID as root, or have a wrapper that opens the port as root and shovels the data back and forth.

Either way, I believe you'll need root somewhere in the equation no matter what.