ipnodes on Linux?

I am very new to linux, I have used solaris for long time. the question i have is there any file comparable to solaris ipnodes on Linux? we are managing 2 separate host file with 2 different groups. on solaris 10 one group managing /Etc/host file and other /etc/inet/ipnodes file. now we are trying to use Linux but there is no Ipnodes file and I am wondering if there any option can meet my objective. Thanks in Advance

Read man: Man Page for ipnodes (All Section 0) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

hosts is a bad way to manage names, which is why DNS and later DNSSEC were invented. Manage them on a redundant set of DNS servers in domains. Dots are free.

Thanks for you response. i am fully aware of it about DNS, we have 98% devices on DNS but want the last 2% intentionality kept on host file and works for us. the question similar mechanism exist on Linux.

Security through obscurity does not pass audit; one needs a firewall and correct net structure to hide a host. It's not expensive, as any host with 2 or more IP devices can route. You can hide one host behind another for the cost of a NIC and a back to back cable. Secure areas can have their own internal DNS servers, sub-domains.

So, one host file or another, one or two, to maintain, still a bit of a pain. Concatenate.