iPlanet Lost Login Tracking

I have been researching if it is possible to track a user's last login within iPlanet LDAP (now called Directory Server) and have thus far found nothing positive, but rather a few articles saying it is not possible. Could someone confirm/deny that iPlanet can/can't track a user's last login automatically?

Thanks,

Justin

Edit: iPlanet LDAP v5.1

What iPlanet software precisely ?

iPlanet LDAP/Directory Server

Where are your users logging in to ?

The users are logging into a spring webflow application, that accesses the LDAP using acegi. I think that kind of answers my question in itself. Since something else is being used to check the login information rather than the LDAP itself, it probably wouldn't know when a user was attempting to be logged in and thus can't track it?

That depends on how that middleware handles logins. If each login is backed by a bind to the ldap server, you'll find users last login time by parsing its access log files.

I need a way for the last login time to be stored in a user's attributes.

Then you need to code this somewhere, there is no builtin functionality for that.

I was just looking through the access log file and noticed that a BIND event occurs whenever a user logs in. Is there a way I can setup the LDAP to store a timestamp in the users attribute that represents the last BIND for that user (based on his uid)?

I was precisely stating that to be possible in post #6. This is the usual way applications or OSes do authenticate users.

I already answered to that question too in post #8. No, you need to implement this feature yourself.

My apologies. I didn't piece your two replies together. Thank you for your help.