Ip address of Linux server

Hi,

How to find ip address of Linux servers ?

I know by ping command we can find ip address but wanted to check with you.

Thanks,
Maddy

hi Maddy,

Could you please try following command for same.

/sbin/ifconfig

EDIT: ping command is used for checking the status of IP address.

Here is the details what man ping says.

Thanks,
R. Singh

Dear Maddy123,

When you say "How to find ip address of Linux servers ?", what do you actually mean? It could be:-

• What is my IP address of the current server?
  • What is the IP address of my desktop logged into this server?
  • What is the IP address of some other server?
  • What IP addresses respond in a particular range that I think we keep for servers?
  • Something else perhaps......?

Which are you after? Whilst ping may do part of what you want, in most cases you have to know something already, so I'm trying to work out what you know and then what you need to know in context so we can give you the best answer.

Can you clarify?

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

1 Like

Which? Most of my Linux servers have several...

1 Like

Hi Ravinder singh,

The output of your command is very lengthy and could not find the one I am looking for.

Hi Robin,

I am after

Hi Corona,

Here is the query requestor has asked us.

In this case , what command should I use to pull out the output from the server ?

Regards,
Maddy

Hello Maddy123,

With the question posed, it leaves me a little worried that no-one planned the creation of the servers very well. Are the people asking this wanting to:-

• add the details to the /etc/hosts file on the server in question?
  • add the details to the /etc/hosts file on all the unix servers? (and equivalent on windows servers)
  • add the details to a DNS server?

I'm concerned that the planning should have been done in advance for something as fundamental as server name and IP address resolution. How did you get to where you are? Were these toy servers built by application developers who now want them put to a production use?

The preference for converting 'server name --> IP address' and 'IP address --> server name' would be with a DNS server (or a few for resilience) That way, one update is reflected to all servers so if things change you don't have the risks associated with multiple updates being required, i.e. errors, forgotten servers, sequence of update, which process has last save etc.

Perhaps with a little more context, we can help you more than you are asking.

Robin