Installing True Type fonts on Unix - Please help

Hi to all,
I have copied some true type fonts to my /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType directory. I need to get the fonts.dir file updated. I have tried using the mkfontdir command but the file does not get updated with my new fonts. Can someone please help me as I have struggled with this for several days. I am looking for the exact syntax for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Monte

The syntax is simple: mkfontdir <directory>

So if you are in /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType directory the command would be run as root:
# mkfontdir ./

Check the mkfontdir man page for info and post any errors you are getting.

RTM,
Thank you for the suggestions. I am really baffled. That is the command that I am using. I have several true type fonts located in a directory called /azzurro2/monte90/temp.

As root, I issue the following command:

/usr/openwin/bin/mkfontdir /azzurro2/monte90/temp.

The fonts.dir file gets created in /azzurro2/monte90/temp but it does not list the fonts. Only 0 is listed in the top of the file for 0 fonts.

It seems like my fonts are not getting read for some reason. They all have a .ttf extension. Can you think of something that I am missing. I have used the man mkfontdir page and I am pretty confident that I am doing the right thing - really frustrating.

Any thoughts - cheers,
Monte

First - the man page I linked for you shows what the file extensions should be for the mkfontdir. Ttf is not one of them.

Second - read this info doc - should be very helpful.