Installing Solaris

Hello ladies and gentlemen

I had a notebook 250 GB for windows 7, 250 GB for slackware,
by the live dvd slaris i installed solaris in partition of windows, instalation ok, when i restart, i can not access menu bios or menu boot, and my notebook don't boot any dvd ,..

any help what i can do, i want have solaris in my notebook, i don't care if i have format everything,..

thanks to all

What make/model of notebook is it?

No matter how you have installed Solaris it would not prevent the machine booting from DVD. Check the boot order set in the BIOS of the machine to ensure that DVD comes before the hard disk (or any other device). Ensure that you have no USB devices plugged into the machine.

---------- Post updated at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:25 PM ----------

And what version of Solaris Live DVD have you got?

1 Like

it is solaris 11.1 live media x86, i am sure dvd is first in order of boot, cause i installed solaris over windows 7 by the dvd, then if all is ok i need have solaris in first partition, slackware in second partition, my normal procedure now would be access boot manager and make hd first boot, and have solaris working, but i can't access boot manager or bios setup, and notebook too is not booting dvd anymore,.

notebook> infoway note w7430, intel i3

The obvious reason why you cannot boot from the hard disk is that the boot loader has been somewhat screwed by the installation of Solaris.

However, nothing should stop you still being able to boot from DVD (including booting again from the Solaris 1.1 Live DVD) or accessing your machines BIOS by pressing the required button whilst the flash screen(s) are showing. So concentrate on accessing your machine's BIOS and/or booting from any DVD. That should work irrespective of whether your boot loader on your hard disk is working correctly or not.

1 Like

ok,.i will try do it and waiting more time for accessing bios;;:b:

thank you hicksd8

---------- Post updated at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:57 AM ----------

unfortunately it doesn't access bios or boot menu, it displays message "f2 is pressed. go to setup utility" then it doesn't work anymore, it displays that message forever.

I must admit that I don't understand how installing Solaris would prevent you from accessing your BIOS or booting from a DVD (apart from altering the boot order, which you can alter back). This now looks like a hardware issue which you need to resolve first. You should always be able to access the system BIOS (by pressing the right key(s)) no matter what.

Anyone else on this forum got any other ideas?

That is because the setup utility was probably overwritten when you attempted to install Solaris 11.

I strongly suspect that accessing the setup utility is not the same as accessing the firmware configuration.

What make and model of laptop?

1. After downloading the installation media, Install and Start VirtualBox on your PC by clicking on the icon:
  2. Click on the New icon (Hilighted):

The Welcome screen will appear.

1. Click on Next and the Create New Virtual Machine window will be displayed. Click on Next.

2. Enter a name for your Solaris Virtual Machine, select the OS type and version (version does not need to be exact). Click on Next.

3. Select the amount of RAM. Keep in mind, Windows (the host system) will be using some of the RAM too. Make sure you leave at least 1GB for the Windows host. Click on Next.

4. Create a New Hard disk. I recommend 16GB which is the default. Click on Next.

5. The Virtual creation wizard screen is displayed, use the default (VDI) and click on Next.

6. The Virtual Disk Storage details screen is displayed. Use the default, Dynamically Allocated. This will save disk space on your host system.

The Virtual disk location and size screen will be displayed. You can select where the Virtual Machine and its disks will be created. Choose a location that has 3-4GB of free space.

The system will create a folder named �Virtual Box VMs.� All of your virtual machines and disks will be stored here.

1. Click Next when ready to move onto the next screen.

2. A summary screen is displayed. Review it and click on Create.

The new machine will now be listed in your VirtualBox Manager:

1. Highlight the machine and select Settings:

12.The Settings screen will be displayed as follows:

13.Click on Storage, then click on the DVD. The DVD will be labeled �Empty.� Then click on the Attributes section (see highlight) and select the location of the Solaris Full DVD ISO image that you downloaded earlier. Then select OK.

13.1 The VirtualBox manager window will be displayed. The Storage section (see highlight) should show the CD/DVD using the ISO image selected in the previous step.

14.Click on START and the installation will begin. The following window will begin the Solaris Installation program:

15.When the installation is complete, the Virtual Machine will still have the DVD mounted to the ISO image and will boot to it and restart the installation process. When this happens, you'll see the Black GRUB menu displayed again as follows:

16.Click on Devices, then CD/DVD devices, then �Remove Disk from Virtual Drive.�

This will unmount the DVD ISO image from the CD/DVD.

1. Click on Machine, then RESET to restart from the Virtual Machine's boot disk.

18.You'll know that Solaris is installed and booting from the boot disk when it boots to the Blue GRUB menu as shown: