Installing Solaris 8 on a V890

Question, I have a new V890 preloaded witrh Solaris 10. Due to SW compatibility I need to run Sol 8 on the server. When running boot cdrom from the ok prompt, I get amessages looking for a location on the CDROM to find the startup install SW. The path must be different from what's on Sol 10 install because I can't get the correct path.

What path to the CDROM works for starting the install?

Thanks, Jim

what CPUs does your V890 use? because i don't think that the installation is looking for the software, i think it is looking for the kernel to boot.... could that be? cause if you have the latest v890 with the new US-VI+ CPUs you won't be able to run solaris8 on it, that's only supported on 1.35GHz CPUs not on the "+" CPUs....

regards pressy

I just checked my order form and found out that I have 6 x 1.35 GHZ cpu. So if that's the case then I'll have to be the one to test out the apps functionality after installing them.

Jim

ok, that's a 890 where solaris 8 should run... but another thing, you must use Solaris 8 - 2/04 or newer...

if you are sure that your CPUs are 1,3 MHz and you use a newer or equal version of Solaris 8 then please post your boot output, perhabs we can see what's wrong...

regards pressy

under Solaris 10 mount a CD using Volcheck on the 890.
Do a df -k and you'll find the mounted CD long with
the logical device name something like c1todo.

Then do a prtconf -v and in the output you
should see the device path directly above c1t0d0.

Use that as your boot path when booting solaris 8.