Installing Solaris 8 + cant change filesystem size

Installing Solaris 8 on Ultra Enterprise 450. No option to increase default filesystem sizes. Tried partitioning the disk before running install, but install goes back to small root fs default. ? ... Also ... how do i image-copy this disk onto a spare that I have ( before I break the original trying to increase the fs sizes. ) can I use dd to make a exact copy of the physical disk ?

You have the option to modify the default partitioning layout in the installer. eg: Using Solaris Web Start to Install Solaris (Solaris 8 (SPARC Platform Edition) Installation Guide) - Sun Microsystems

Thanks. That would be great if the system did what it says in the manual, ... but mine seems to get confused at step 11. I am installing from CD. When the system asks to "Please insert 'the CD' and press OK" it dosent seem to know what its looking for, and it rejects ANY CD I give it. Software 1, Software 2, Installation, etc ... then there is no alternative but to abandon the install, so I never get to the disk partitioning bit.

Whereas, If I use the 'default' install process, when It asks for 'the CD' it actualy asks for the 'Software 1 CD' and continues to install (without allowing a customisation of the partitions.

I do appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

---------- Post updated at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:15 PM ----------

To copy the disk...
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s2 bs=1024k
I will let you know if they really need to be fully unmounted ... I think it will work from run level 2 / 3 and just need an fsck when booting from the copy.

Don't install from the Installation CD, boot from the Solaris Software 1 of 2 CD and start the installation from there.

1 Like

That worked.